Embarking on a house painting project may seem like a simple task. However, without the proper preparation and the right supplies, your easy project can quickly turn into a hassle. Before you start moving the furniture out of the way, first consult this checklist to ensure you have all the supplies you need:
- Old Clothes. No matter how precise you are with the roller, you’re bound to get some paint on you, so ensure you’ve got old clothes that you’re willing to get a few splotches on. If you’ll be painting the ceiling, consider wearing an old hooded sweatshirt to protect your hair.
- Tarps. Unless you haven’t moved into your house yet, odds are you have furniture in the room you’ll be painting. Remove any furniture from the room that you can, and cover the large items – like beds, dressers, or sectionals – with tarps or drop cloths. You’ll also need tarps to cover the floor.
- Spackle and Spatula to patch any holes in your walls
- Paint Scraper to peel off any cracking paint
- Sand Paper to smooth out any bumps and even out rough textures on your walls
- Soap to clean the walls
- Painter’s tape to protect trim and get clean lines
- Flat Paint Brush to cut in the border of the room next to any taped off areas
- Roller and Roller Covers for the majority of the painting. To reach the ceiling or for rooms with very tall walls, you’ll also need a painter’s pole.
- Tray to hold small amounts of paint. Never dip your paint brush right into the paint can since you risk contaminating the gallon with dust and dirt.
- Primer to cover the existing wall color and create a blank slate so your new color will apply evenly and require less coats. You can also purchase paint with primer mixed into the color.
- Paint in your desired finish. Flat paint gives a no-gloss finish, which is difficult to clean, so reserve flat paint for low-traffic areas. Satin and eggshell finishes are great for living rooms and bedrooms since they are easy to clean and have light-reflecting characteristics. Semi-gloss finish is great for trim, windowsills, and railings.
Having all of your supplies in order cuts down on the frustration and ensures your painting process goes smoothly.
If you’ve read this checklist and decided you don’t have it in you after all, contact the North Wales Painters at CertaPro today.