Spring is in full effect, causing homeowners around the nation to consider starting fresh, spring cleaning, and making upgrades to their home design. Whether you’re feeling inspired from the springtime outdoors or have been looking for a remedy to solve your dark and dingy home improvement woes, these tips will help turn any room in your home into a bright and airy space.
- Work in white. White paint can work wonders when it comes to opening up a room and making it look brighter. The expert painters in Lynnwood, WA recommend painting your walls white, as it allows for more freedom when it comes to decorating with pops of color and texture. White paint can transform any room into your home into a blank canvas. Additionally, white paint can make a space feel light and airy, so it’s ideal for those smaller rooms you’ve tried to make feel larger by rearranging (or removing) furniture.
- Think minimally. Furnishings with minimalist silhouettes take up less space in a room, convincing the naked eye that the space is more open and therefore brighter. Low couches, chairs, and tables work wonderfully in terms of opening a room. Additionally, any furniture you decide upon should feature fabric that is light in color. Avoid textures like faux fur and corduroy, as these pieces can be visually heavy and pull away from the light and airy space you are trying to create.
- Make the space your own. Consider how you want to use the rooms in your home instead of what the rooms were designed to be used for. Who says your living room can’t dual-serve as your dining room? If your dining room doesn’t have a lot of windows that let natural light in, but it’s connected to your living room that has a plethora of windows, know down the non-weight-bearing walls connecting those rooms to let light flow in, literally. Not only does this open and brighten the room, but it creates an open flow throughout your home.
- Add more light sources. If the room you’re trying to brighten doesn’t allow for a ton of natural light, incorporate more artificial light into the layout. Play around with table lamps, floor lamps, and ceiling fixtures to find the mix that’s right for you. Bright White LED bulbs can maximize the amount of white light coming from your lamps. You can buy electric supplies online or head to a local home improvement store to find the right bulbs for your fixtures.
- Bring nature in. Nothing brightens a home like a few well-placed floral arrangements or potted, leafy plants. Adding fresh plants into your home decor can make a space feel more vibrant and alive. If you’re not comfortable with the maintenance living plants require, consider adding a faux plant instead. Opt for arrangements you can sit on end tables or your flooring to avoid detracting from the openness you’re trying to create.
Breathe in spring freshness and brighten your home this spring!