It’s the holiday season, with the whoop-de-do and hickory dock, and don’t forget to pick up your sock. Grab a mop and dust your clock; time to boun for the holidays, boun.
Doesn’t it seem like your to-do list grows exponentially during the holidays? Between keeping up with your everyday schedule and shopping for gifts, updating your home is the last thing you want to worry about. If you are entertaining guests this season, you may want to consider doing a mini home makeover before they come to town. Here’s a list of what you should focus your attention on updating before the holidays:
- Invest in a serving buffet. A serving buffet can be placed in your kitchen, dining room, or any space you are going to do the most entertaining. It creates additional storage for dishes, silverware, and glasses and provides you with a surface to layout your food and drinks.
- Update your floor decor. If you already have an area rug or stair runner on your hardwood floors, replace them with a texture or pattern that is fitting to the season. Deep reds and greens and faux fur have the winter holidays written all over them. If you have carpet, consider getting it professionally cleaned.
- Give your fireplace a facelift. The fireplace is a holiday focal point so if you have one in your home, you should make sure it’s in good condition. If you want to do an easy update, redecorate the mantle with holiday decor like stockings, votive candles, and winter flora. You can also repaint or refinish the mantle. Clean the fireplace’s surroundings whether its brick, stone or hardwood so it’s in tip-top shape.
- Power wash the exterior. The first thing your guests will see when they arrive is the outside of your home. Richmond house painters recommend giving your exterior a good power washing for a fresh look and to protect and prepare it for winter weather conditions. A little curb appeal goes a long way.
- Revamp the windows. This project can be as big or as small as you want it to be. A bigger update would be insulating the windows. If you feel a draft or notice cracks in the seal, you should get this taken care of right away in preparation for the cold weather. A smaller update would be getting new curtains or valances to hang. Also, make sure you give your windows a good cleaning so they sparkle and shine.
Whether you perform major or minor updates to your home before the holidays, your guests will surely take notice. For more home design updates, contact Carmen Mackey, a West Chester Township, OH interior decorator.